Tuesday, December 31, 2013
It's the last day of the year again.
Time for some review and reflection.
As always, the year passed by quickly but there were definitely some key milestones worth mentioning.
First and foremost, I graduated!
Yes! After a 4-year battle with the annoying bell-curve and honours system, I can finally say ANNYEONG to my professors, past year papers and exams. I never hated studying and I really enjoyed learning new things, asking questions and getting answers. Unfortunately, this is always accompanied by exams, stress and unfriendly competition. Oh well, at least I tried to take some enjoyable modules in my last 2 semesters.
At the moment, I am still pretty thankful that it is over.
Anyway, besides the certificate, I am not quite sure what did I take away from the university education.
I mean, for secondary and college, I made great friends, developed sense of belonging and love for my alma mater, probably some character build up...
University.. probably just made me grow up or feel more grown up.
Made some friends and I do mean more than facebook friends, made some choices, had some opportunities...
Learnt lots, nothing much to regret since you cant change it anyway.
Actually, feels pretty much like square one less that I am four years older and a little more independent plus realistic about life.
LOL, that definitely dont sound very encouraging.
There was about a 4 month period of transition before I started my working life officially.
Went for graduation trip with my coursemates. First time travelling with them.
Quite alright, good balance between the jokers and the serious people.
Returned being closer and that's quite nice since we are all launching into different industries.
Did a short internship at some stat board just for the sake of experiencing/seeing working life in the government sector.
Had a young, good and quite fun manager, no complains.
To make it better, there were many other interns and young managers around so it was entertaining and enjoyable most of the time.
Nothing stressful, but quite a bit to see and learn as a pre-working exposure.
Then again, it's really quite different compared to the private sector (and I am starting to feel that I will never return there after being spoilt in the private sector).
Even so, I remember this particular lady telling me that no matter where you are and what you attain, you must always be humble.
So here I am today, working in some MNC, not really quite what I studied.
Nevertheless, quite thankful to be given this opportunity.
A further eyeopener to the vast cosmopolitan world, beyond whatever I encountered during exchange.
Excellent work-life balance - dont really have to OT and can work from home occasionally.
Honestly speaking, I have never envisioned myself to be working in an environment like that.
But yeah, am enjoying so far.. to the extent that I am a bit worried that the continuation of this relax mood will make me lazier / stupider / less competitive in the long run.
It's just not quite the same comparing with my peers and it makes me feel insecure that I'm not working as hard as them you know. Plus, I dont look forward to weekends that much since weekdays are not that strenuous/stressful anyway.
Hahaha, but payday is still payday. The most awesome day of the month.
So what's for 2014?
More kinship/friendships/relationships building/strengthening, more hard work and effort at work, greater attempt to maintain a healthy lifestyle, maybe more involvement in social work or sorts.
And if I haven't been good and kind enough in 2013, I will try to be an angel in 2014 :)
Goodbye 2013.
Hey there 2014!
Happy new year ahead everyone!
i came to shout at 1:15:00 PM